Sunday, May 9, 2010

Night Catches Us & Chang

Last night I did get in to see Night Catches Us. I had of video with the writer/director of this movie in my post yesterday. I went to see the movie because Anthony Mackie from The Hurt Locker was in it. So is Kerry Washington. It is set in Philadelphia 1976, when the Anthony Mackie character returns home after having been away for several years. Both Mackie and Washington's characters were members of the Black Panthers, and the are both dealing with the consequences of what happened when they were members of the group.

There are no weak parts to this movie. The acting is all great, including the young girl who plays Washington's daughter. The cinematography and the sound track also stands out. It is set for theatrical release later this year. My only apprehension is that the pace my be a little slow for a commercially released movie, but we will have to see what happens.

Every year the Film Festival has a silent film with live orchestration by the Alloy Orchestra. This year's film was the 1927 Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness, a movie I had not heard of before. It was made by the same team that created King Kong six years later. Filmed in what is now Thailand, the story depicts a family homesteading in the Jungle, facing all the dangers of the wild, including leopards, tigers and ultimately a large herd of elephants. How could a movie fail if it has cute child and wild animals with all their cute babies.

Here is a clip of the beginning of the film, although I do not think the sound track on this clip is the Alloy Orchestra's. The entire movie is available on Netflix.



I am not going to see anymore films. Instead I have decided to go to Center Stage tonight to see their final performance of Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment