Saturday, April 24, 2010

George, Nicholas and Wilhelm & The Lost Prince

Unfortunately, this makes two post in a row about mass destruction, but I promise to make the next post a little cheerier.

I posted previously that I was reading the book George, Nicholas and Wilhelm. I have finished, and it was a very good read. It covers the three cousins up to the beginning of World War 1, and chronicles the failure of Queen Victoria's scheme to pacify Europe by placing her progeny on all the thrones of the continent.

Many of the characters in the book are also portrayed in Stephen Poliakoff's film The Lost Prince, which shows the period leading up to World War I from the perspective of King George's youngest son. After reading the book, I appreciate even more how accurately and succinctly Poliakoff was able to depict the characters in his film.

Here is a clip from the film where King George's mother, Queen Alexandra, talks about the three cousins.




I am usually not into soundtrack music that much, but Adrian Johnston's sound track for The Lost Prince is probably one of my all time favorites. As one of the comments to this video says, it is "hauntingly beautiful".

No comments:

Post a Comment