Monday, April 12, 2010

Doctor Parnassus & Camille Paglia

I posted the trailer of Terry Gilliams's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus on this blog a few weeks back. I said at the time that I liked it better than Avatar, but I thought I needed to see it again to fully appreciate it. Well I did see it again, and I liked it much better the second time. I think I was too tired when I saw it the first time. It has a fairly complicated plot, and you have to follow it pretty closely. The main plot line of the movie involves a struggle between Dr. Parnassus and Mr. Nick (i.e. the Devil), over Parnassus' daughter, who has been promised to Mr. Nix. In order to win back his daughter, Dr. Parnassus needs to win five souls from Mr. Nick with his imagination. The plot of the movie reminded me very much of this recent Camille Paglia interview. It seems to me that Gilliam and Paglia are saying about the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment