Thursday, June 9, 2011

Food on Film

Today I am posting my three favorite film scenes that focus on food. The clips below are all in different languages, but I don't think you need to have any idea what is being said to appreciate the what is going on.

Big Night (1996) with Stanley Tucci and Isabella Rossellini.




Babette's Feast (1987) - Based on a short story by one of my favorite writers, the Baroness Blixen, AKA Isak Dinesen. With the winnings from a lottery, Babette prepares a lavish feast for members of an austere religious sect who gave her refuge.





The Leopard (1963) directed by Luchino Visconti based on the book by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. The film has an international cast, including Burt Lancaster. Where the other two films are intimate, this one is vast. This is probably one of the most lavish banquet scenes ever filmed.


1 comment:

  1. In addition to "Babette's Feast" and "Big Night", two of my other favorite films in which food is a major theme are "Como agua para chocolate" (Like Water for Chocolate) and "Io Sono Amore" (I am Love). Oh... and "Mostly Martha".

    ReplyDelete