Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Lives of Others

I have finished rewatching the German film The Lives of Others. Rewatching it confirms for me what a good film it is. The film is set in East Germany in 1984, and revolves around a Stasi agent who is wiretapping a writer, and how the agent is slowly changed by the experience. It sound very depressing, but the film is so well made that it is a pleasure to watch.

I see that the writer/director of the film, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, is now working on a film with a script by Julian Fellows. I am anxious to see that.

[Note added 8/13/11: The film referred to in the paragraph above turns out to have been The Tourist, with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. The film was released last December, but I have not seen it yet.]

Here is a clip from the film.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched it a few days ago and it was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete